Saturday, March 31, 2012

Explore Lesson 5 Oxford Reference Collection

Lesson 5- OXFORD REFERENCE COLLECTION

Once again I had a few issues with being able to get on this site but after trying several methods I managed to get in and found a variety of References that are very useful.
Question1
   I went to the English Dictionaries and Thesauruses link and looked up "Habeas Corpus", I found there were 7 different dictionaries that had entries for the term.
2.  I used the same link but a different subject; that of Guide to Grammar and Writing which I liked because often our kids don't know the difference between the parts of speech and this site was well illustrated and certainly easy to navigate.  The song that illustrated nouns was a well known Oscar and Hammerstein song from the Sound of Music, My Favorite Things! 

Rainndrops on roses and whiskers on kittens

Bright copper kettles and warm woolen mittens

Brown paper packages tied up with strings

These are a few of my favorite nouns
Cream colored ponies and crisp apple streudels

Doorbells and sleigh bells and schnitzel with noodles

Wild geese that fly with the moon on their wings

These are a few of my favorite nouns
Girls in white dresses with blue satin sashes

Snowflakes that stay on my nose and eyelashes

Silver white winters that melt into springs
These are a few of my favorite nouns
When the dog bites
When the bee stings
When I'm feeling sad

I simply remember my favorite nouns

And then I don't feel so bad.
I really like this model and I love the music as well.

3.  The next question asked we use the same link but in the Visual Dictionary and look up "Boat", I did and I found the following examples of boats and ships
container ship 
bulk carrier 
drill ship 
hovercraft 
tug 
ice-breaker 
trawler tanker 
motor yacht 
runabout 
houseboat 
ferry 
cruise-liner 
hydrofoil boat 

4.  I was now having lots of fun and I went to the link for English Reference and found 18 different titles for English Language Reference.
5.  For this one I selected the "Irish Dictionary and the word "wealthy" and this is the reference I got.
1. wealthy adj
saibhir .(From The Pocket Oxford Irish Dictionary (English-Irish) in Bilingual Dictionaries  I am not sure that this is what you mean't to do?

6. The next question was to go to link for Quotes and John Locke
 Locke, John
The end of law is, not to abolish or restrain, but to preserve and enlarge freedom.
(From Concise Oxford Dictionary of Quotations in Quotations


. John Locke this was the other one I found.
[That] ill deserves the name of confinement which hedges us in only from bogs and precipices.

So that, however it may be mistaken, the end of law is, not to abolish or restrain, but to preserve and enlarge freedom.
(From Oxford Dictionary of Quotations in Quotation
The second part of browsing 'abolish" took me to other subjects like slavery.

7.  I did a search for Syria from the site linked to Maps and Illustrations and found the following:
Subjects searched: Maps & Illustrations
SYRIA Displaying 3 of 3 results
1. Syria From World Flags in Maps & Illustrations)

2. Syria (From World Maps in Maps & Illustrations)
3. flags: Asia
Keywords Bangladesh Bhutan China Democratic People' Republic of Korea India Japan Maldives Mongolia Nepal Republic of Korea Sri Lanka Keywords Afghanistan Azerbaijan Iran Kazakhstan Kyrgyzstan Pakistan Tajikistan Turkmenistan Uzbekistan Keywords ...

(From Visual English Dictionary in Maps & Illustrations)



8.  From the Oxford Reference home page I went to Encyclopedias and did a search on Syria, the difference between the two sources the global handbook and encyclopedia, handbook provides information on every country in the world with a quick reference fact box and valuable supplemental information comparing Syria to other countries in the world.  An encyclopedia only gives facts on the one country you are looking up rather than comparing world wide.

9.  There are 25 definitions for the term "recycling" and unfortunately I could not find Refine by Book option, but when searching I found more than 20 references to books with information on recycling including encyclopedia of Science, environmental books and books about healthy living.

10.  I am glad this was optional because it would not work with my browser! Search Oxford Reference
I could copy it in a document but that javascript would not enable my to put it into my browser.



Reflections:
I wanted to share some warmth and nature from California for all of my Alaskans!  Summer is coming for us too!


This was a good lesson for me as I have never used any of these resources and the first thing I am doing now is going back to the Quotations link and picking out some of my favorites to add to my signature line on my emails.  I love when I receive mail from Bookworm with fabulous quotes to think about.  I did spend quite a long time on this lesson because I kept finding more things to explore and I think I put in around 3-4 Hours but it was well spent.  I actually posted some new quotes to my signature line in mail.

Good friends, good books, and a sleepy conscience: this is the ideal life.” 


How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world.” 

“Where there is love there is life.” 




1 comment:

  1. Excellent discovery for this exercise! While the questions are simple they lead you through all the features of the Reference database. Thanks for your work and I loved the song too!

    ReplyDelete