Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Thanks to a Wonderful Support System

Goldilocks hits roadblock to the Heritage Quest Site!
March 13, 2012
I must share the latest problem I encountered with try to access sites in Alaska from an outside location.  I site Heritage Quest read my web address and knew I wasn't in Alaska and would not let me enter.  Thankfully, with the help of our teacher and facilitators the problem was cleared up by the end of the day.  I am impressed with the timely way this was handled by all and I want to say, "Thank You", I can't wait to continue with Lesson 2!  What a great support staff, now someone in the class please read this and comment so I know I really am posting correctly!
Exercise 4A and 4B
Now I have found another kink in my assignment for Lesson 4A and 4B, because I am out of Alaska I cannot get on the data base for this lesson.  It reads my URL location and it appears I cannot get around this.  I will skip this until I return to Alaska and then redo the assignment.  I appreciate the quick response from Daniel again advising me what to do.

Lesson 4A and 4B



I was in Alaska only for less than a week but in Homer at my DKG conference I managed on a Saturday night to contact Tutor.com through live homework help. It was very exciting to get through  so quickly and find a real person helping me with Are You Smarter Than a Fifth Grader.  
Because I was so limited in time I asked a question about English currency, math problems using pounds and pence.  My tutor caught my mistake within seconds and suggested an alternate way for me to find the correct answer.  I was impressed but sad that you cannot access this site from outside Alaska.  I see many possibilities for students to get help from this site and the fact they can access it with their library cards is wonderful.


I am hoping I have time when I return to Alaska around the middle of May to try to finish the rest of the assignment.
I am now back in Alaska, May 21, 2012 and I have completed part 4B although I did have difficulty transferring to my blog.  
It was easy to do the advanced search in the Teacher Reference Center to find articles about teacher education and Alaska. My first attempt was incorrect and I found over 543 articles, when I did follow the exact directions it became more realistic with a total of 58 results which I then narrowed using the full text option and after 2008 for the date to a total of 9 articles and some were repeats.
I was impressed with the example of the 3 minute video because as a retired teacher unfortunately most of my current research is into medical issues and it really gave an incite into finding current journal articles about many things I am involved with.
The APA citation is for the article:


APA
(American Psychological Assoc.)
References
Authors:
CHRISTIE, KATHY
Source:
Phi Delta Kappan, Feb2008, Vol. 89 Issue 6, p405-406, 2p
Document Type:
Article
Subject Terms:
EDUCATION -- United States
INTERNET in education
SCHOOL day
INSTITUTE of Education Sciences (U.S.)
EDUCATION -- Finance -- Government policy
UNITED States. Dept. of Education
Geographic Terms:
UNITED States

I think this information of how to search for specific articles and resources is very important but having had no familiarity with it's use I found it quite difficult and time consuming.  I probably spent over 3 hours and trying to figure this out.

2 comments:

  1. Glad this has been taken care of, looking forward to reading your next post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What digital resources are currently used in the textbook marketplace? How are these used and do they meet the needs? How is the education marketplace changing, and what are the key factors which will drive how the use of digital resources changes in future? Which companies currently offer these technologies, and what do they offer? What would be the best routes to market for a new technology which provides additional value to digital textbooks - eg via publishing companies? via software companies? direct to end users?

    phlebotomy training in alaska

    ReplyDelete