Sunday, April 1, 2012

Mango Languages Lesson 6

Let's Learn Hebrew???
With a little help from Daniel again, I was able to access the site with Mango Languages.  I had to either be in the state or Daniel had a way of getting me in.  I spent a couple of hours practicing my Hebrew and my Spanish.  I really liked being able to hear my pronunciation along with the narrator's.  I think I was limited in what I actually could accomplish because of my location.  I kept getting bounced from the site telling me to log in and use my password which would not work.

If I used my email from Daniel I could access the site but all I could actually see was the list of languages and the lessons so I tried two, both Hebrew and Spanish.   I found this would be helpful if I was traveling to another country and could download the basic language to my iPad and use it to study.  I did download the app from iTunes but ran into the same problem of not being in the state.  I will try to use it when I am back in Alaska.  It was easier to use in Alaska and I think it is a great site to recommend to those who are traveling.

I really liked being able to repeat phrases and hear how I was improving and then taking the review.  What I didn't like was not being able to copy the writing part easily to practice writing as well as speaking.

I enjoyed the Cultural anecdotes  that were offered about the language and the people.  I think students would enjoy using this site but I wonder if I am missing other functions that can be accessed.



Disculpe ¿Hablas Inglés? I was able to copy this by goggling it rather than from Mango, I learned it mean't Formal form;Excuse me, Do you speak English?

Hebrew letters are impossible but with a Mac program you can have a Hebrew Keyboard which makes it a little easier but goggle was the way to go.
The Hebrew Greeting Shalom has a Universal meaning of Peace and it is the greeting used when saying hi, saying by or just "Peace be with you!"

I spent about two hours on this lesson and it was interesting.  I think I would show my grandson how he could learn some phrases in PIRATE?  He would be fascinated.

2 comments:

  1. I'm sorry that Mango kept tossing you out, but glad you were able to stay long enought to get some practice. I haven't tried the pronunciation part of Mango yet as I've been using the iPhone app to practice with.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is too bad that using the system was so difficult. Hopefully you'll have a better time with it back in Alaska! Thanks for persevering and for discovering a bit about it anyway.

    Like Daniel, I've used this more on my iPhone than on the computer, although I've tried both formats. It would be interesting to hear how it worked on the iPad. I wonder if it's pretty much the same as the iPhone, but with larger text?

    ReplyDelete