Saturday, May 26, 2012

Using NoveList, Lesson 9

Final Post Lesson 9-Tutorial on Literature-How to Use

 NoveList K-8

 Tanya O'Brien 

LESSON 9:   Creating Tutorials by Goldilocks Goes Digital


Literature for K-8




In order to use the Digital Pipeline you must sign in and in order to get your password you would call:
800-440-2919 to get the current password.


When you get to Literature you would open NoveList K-8, and would be given all of the choices listed below:



I wanted to look up Fantasy for a 9 year old boy so that was my next choice.
You will get many choices, and you can explore your options. I limited my search to 9-12 year olds and All.  
The topic I selected was Fantasy.

Using NoveList K-8 I selected Wizards, and this screen shows up.



If you scroll down, Recommended Read Lists is visible.  I was presented options - an icon list of books/authors.  Scroll over the book icon and a description of the book shows up. You can add it to your folder so you can print out a list to take to the library and find.
You can go further and read excerpts from your selections.  Double click on the book icon, which takes you to the book screen (partial screen shot below):


On the right side below the book icon it says "First Chapter." Click on First Chapter and you get to read whatever excerpt they selected for you to read and get a feel for the book.

You can go back on your browser to look at other titles or change your search options to get other books that are similar or by the same authors and even switch your criteria to a different age group or adult lists.  Play with the options and see what comes up.
For example, you like an author.  Start at the home page of NoveList K-8, click the author button and type in Last Name, First Name of whomever you like.  Click Search, which will take you to a screen like this:


Now select Author-Read-ALikes


which will take you to a screen like this, giving you reasons why the listed authors' books are similar.  Some you may like, others not so much.


“ Use the Read-Alike features  NoveList K-8 to find several new authors or titles that you might like to read based on your favorite books.” You can also find other recommendations based on the criteria you select.  Save several of those selections to your folder. You can use
 e-mail and send the selections to yourself or to the patron.
  
Check out the Resources section – Readers Advisory Toolbox – on NoveList or the 
How To Use Sections, there are many good tips for using this list.

Reflections on my experience  planning and posting a tutorial.  Firstly,  I have really enjoyed this class and although I am a novice in the use of digital resources I now have been introduced to Sled and the Digital Pipeline, which I find valuable and fun to use.  I am not a librarian or technology- wise teacher, just a retired Social Studies teacher who loves learning new things.  My project is less than adequate but after putting in at least eight hours I am satisfied that I have much more to learn!  I ran into difficulty first using pages to transfer information and later redoing it all on Word.  After both attempts I still had a hard time transferring and posting images.  To my good fortune, a friend in the class spent a couple of hours with me this morning to help polish up my tutorial.  It is now easier to follow, more complete and has more value.  I look forward to more classes and experiences at both the Digital Pipeline and Blogging.  I was introduced to the program Clarify today and watch a view of the tutorials and think it is a program I may want to purchase.  I plan to share the tutorial with my grandson's teachers and other students and parents who may not have used NoveList before.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Tanya,

    I'm very glad you had a friend to help you out in posting the tutorial. It looks very helpful and I was wondering if I could 1) Feature it in a future Friday Bulletin and suggesting that SLED link to it. It shows all the basic features of Novelist well.

    Congratulations on finishing all of the lessons despite numerous obstacles!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would be very happy if this could be useful in anyway. Thank you Dan for asking!
      Tanya

      Delete